MP3 players are ubiquidous. Most kids seem to have access so why not use for education? Rules. Kids might use for music...or other evil. I was curious, so I reviewed the rule on electronic devices in the student handbook. Here is what it says:
"Definition: All electronic devices are prohibited during the school day. The school day is defined from 7:50 - 2:39PM. If a student possesses such a divice, these items are to be turned off and stored in a student's locker and out of sight during school hours. Electronic devices are defined as such things as cell phones, .....MP3 players, etc.........If such items are seen between the hours of 7:50 AM and 2:39 PM, they will be confiscated by the teacher or administration and the student will receive a detention. The electronic device will not be returned until after the detention is served."
Hmmm, not terribly encouraging but I don't think that the administration would quibble about the use of podcasts and MP3 players. I think with many technologies, the rules are made with very good intentions, responding to real issues but unless schools embrace these commonly accepted technologies, we become more and more irrelevant.
We have teachers who a going to begin teaching blended classes. I think podcasts could be an important tool for instruction. I did find the podcasts in Thing 14 more interesting than in T 15. A few were dead links, one was a computer voice. They just seemed older.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment