Monday, April 20, 2009

Thing 14: Learn about Podcasting

Podcasting is to radio what blogs are the newspapers. Ultimately it is the democratization of media. Media conglomerates no longer completely control the news stream....which is both good and bad.

I listened to a variety to podcasts. I found the booktalk podcasts particularly interesting. The 2008/2009 Isinglass Teen Read Award Nominees (http://www.hopkintonschools.org/hhs/library/podcast.html) and Booktalks Quick and Simple by Nancy Keane (http://nancykeane.com/booktalks/podcast_list.htm) sounded very professional. I can see how I could add a podcast feature to my library blog.

The purpose of these podcasts is to encourage teens to read by introducing them to new books. Another interesting 2.0 trend in young adult lit is the book trailer. These seem to be produced by publishers, librarians or teens. More a vodcast, I think, and they might be more engaging than a podcast. The book trailers are available on YouTube and publishers websites.



Another podcast that I explored was The Genealogy Guys Podcast. Very interesting. And magically, it had a RSS feed so I added it to my iGoogle page. I didn't realize that podcasts had RSS feeds.

I can see alot of possibilities for podcasts.

No comments: