Monday, March 16, 2009

Thing 2:2 - Reflection on Web 2.0

I think I am getting old and crotchety. I have been in education for over 30 years. The world changes extremely fast and education changes extremely slowly. Kids must have whiplash coming from home to school. In many homes, students have fast computers, connect globally, communicate globally, collaborate globally. At school, many Web 2.0 sites are regularly blocked, not to mention Web 1.0 sites. Email is routinely blocked. We need to teach students to live in the 21st century with 21st century tools instead of the 19th century with 20th century tools.

In writing that pessimistic rant, technology is not always the answer. Technology is a tool and it takes teachers to use Web 2.0 applications appropriately and creatively. If schools are to be relevant to students, education must change from teaching to standardized tests. Creatively and collaboration are falling by the wayside.

I just read a short ebook: "Seven Steps to Flatten your Classroom". 'Twas very interesting. "We can now work with anyone, any place and at any time - and our classrooms should reflect that. The Flat Classroom is about introduction our students to the world in safe, meaningful ways that will enrich and augment the things that are already working in our school." (p vi). This is one project that illustrates how Web 2.0 can enhance education.

No comments: