Hmmm....wiki's. I am a library/media specialist and I haven't yet seen the light on how I would use a wiki with students. I found this quote interesting: "Wikis aren't for everyone! If control is really important for your, then a wiki probably isn't the right tool." (Wikis" A beginners look). Hmmm.....maybe I have an issue with control.
I like the idea of cooperative editing with peers, but why would I use a wiki instead of Google Docs? Would my teachers use with students? Ohhh, that control thing. They might want to be able to approve comments/content before it is posted.
I also found this quote interesting:
"Most library catalogs only contain the most basic information on books. They have the elements that go into a MARC record: title, subject(s), author, year published, etc. When patrons go into an online catalog, they probably won’t know if what they’ve found is the sort of book they’re looking for until they pull it off the shelf. When users go onto Amazon.com, they will find a book synopsis, cover art, and reviews from people who have already read the book. This extra content helps people to get a better sense of whether the book will meet their needs. Why can’t we do that same at libraries?" (Using Wikis to Create Online Communities)
When I read that, I searched for a posting date. 2005. Outdated. Library programs have changed dramatically in 4 years. 2.0 features are now imbedded in the programs. Same with creating subject guides. KISD is beginning a project that has consortium pricing for a library program from Follett called Destiny. KISD will host the libraries on their file servers. (http://destiny.kentisd.org/).
So, not yet seeing the vision on wikis but luckily there is Thing 10.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment