Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thing 11: Online Productivity Apps.

Answer to all questions: Yes

I just read an excellent report on new technologies for educations. The Horizon Report 2009 K-12 Edition has a very interesting section on cloud computing. They list cloud computing as one of the emerging technologies that will be mainstream in schools within two to three years.

There are various reasons that I think it will be adopted....the number one reason is cost. School districts just don't have the budget to update software. Why pay for something that is free? Accessibility is another reason to migrate to cloud computing. Students can work on a project at home and then come to school and continue to work. They can work collaboratively.

One drawback, which is probably a drawback with many 2.0 applications, is the trust issue. We save our data, whether it is documents, pictures, etc., on the cloud. We trust that Google, or Flikr or TeacherTube are going to be there for as long as we need them. What happens if they fold?

1 comment:

Ron Houtman said...

I am wondering the same thing... what does happen when Google decides to start charging for Google Docs... or decides to eliminate it. I don't think either will happen soon - but it does beg the question.